Although a lot of applications and over 29,500 app versions are already supported in Oxygen Forensic® Detective, in version 14.4 of Oxygen Forensic® Detective we have added support for Craigslist, one of the most controversial app services in our catalog.
What is Craigslist?
Craigslist is an American classified advertisements website with sections devoted to jobs, housing, item sales, items wanted, services, community service, gigs, resumes, and discussion forums. It dominates the market in facilitating face-to-face transactions, whether it be to buy and sell, give something away, rent property, or to make a personal connection.
With more than 47 million unique users every month in the US alone,it is one of today’s most important community sites.
While Craigslist has facilitated millions of transactions, some of them are almost unbelievable.
“There is barely a day that goes by that I don’t see at least one report – sometimes two or three or five crimes linked to Craigslist,” says Peter Zollman, the founding principal of Advanced Interactive Media Group.
Rip-offs, robberies, and sex crimes are the most common offenses related to the website. One of the infamous crimes was the murder by the “Craiglist Killer”. Philip Markoff murdered a masseuse through a wanted ad on Craiglist. This does not include the 131 murders that have been associated with the website.
Craigslist in Oxygen Forensic® Detective
Craigslist data will be parsed automatically at import or after data extraction from an Android or iOS device. The investigator can get access to the following information if it is contained in the app:
- Information about the user account and its owners, such as their full name, e-mail address, phone number, address, postal code, language, coordinates, last active timestamp (UTC), and UID
- Postings, account name, posting title, description, price, the posting creation date, posting expiration date, URL of the attached picture, address, coordinates, category, section, and ID
- Cached postings with their title, description, price, created timestamp, URL, URL of the attached picture, city, coordinates, and ID
- Searches: recent, favorites, and hidden
- Cache consisting of images, snapshots, and general information, such as ID, timestamp (UTC), URL, and files
Craigslist allows users to find jobs, housing, items for sale, items wanted, services, community service, gigs, resumes, and discussion forums. With anyone on the internet having the ability to post on Craigslist, it creates the opportunity to commit crimes. Knowing this, Oxygen Forensics created a tool to help law enforcement extract and analyze data to help solve crimes.
Interested in trying this feature? Update your Oxygen Forensic® Detective to version 14.4 or contact us for a free trial!